Popular Post

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Career in a Rut

Today is Monday, the start of another nothing-to-do-at-work week.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been literally shaking legs at work. Every morning I come to work, switch on the computer and surf the net till I knock off at 6.00pm.

This total lack of activity is driving me crazy!

I wonder why my boss decided to employ me in the first place. Does she need that many people in the department when almost all of us are lazing away?

I know I should be grateful that I have a job, especially in this economic climate where there's unemployment everywhere. But I can't help feeling redundant and stupid.

I feel that my skills and knowledge amassed through the years will deteriorate and wither away, leaving me incapable of performing up to expectations in my next role, wherever and whenever that may be.

I miss the adrenaline rush of planning and organising an event. I miss writing a press release and the satisfaction of seeing a high media value for a campaign I've worked on. I don't get to do all that in my current employment.

I think I seriously need to take a good, long, hard look at my career. To see where I'm heading in the next 5 years. And hopefully I'm able to salvage what's left of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment